Climate change (Class of 2020)
One of the international exchange courses, Tokyo Metropolitan University
Note [2020-05-29]: This course is cancelled, because no students enrolled.
Time: Academic year 2020, 1st semester (
April May-July 2020), Thursday 13:00-14:30
Place: Minami-Osawa campus, but mainly on-line
Note: Correspondence between date (mentioned in the syllabus) and content may change during the course.
Note [2020-05-20] The lecture session of 14 May failed,
because no students connected to the "zoom" meeting I opened.
I plan to open a "zoom" meeting again on 21 May, at 13:00.
To students who are interested in the lecture:
please connect to the "zoom" meeting. If you cannot, please send me an e-mail message.
Note [2020-05-05, updated 2020-05-14]:
- We must adapt to changing situation of the university library and
of the telecommuniation systems.
Probably we cannot make reading assignments as planned in the syllabus.
I will try to make some substitutes.
There is a good news that Cambridge University Press makes
on-line version of some of their textbooks available to universities
free of charge,
and the textbook I want to use (Dessler: "Introduction to Modern Climate Change")
is included in the list.
But there is a bad news that its term of free access will end at 29 June (2020-06-29)
We will use on-line version of the textbook as far as possible.
I have added instructions how to access the on-line textbook
to the page of [Information of books]. (Follow the link below.)
Schedule and course materials
- This section will be updated weekly, both before and after lectures.
- Sometimes, materials which have appeared on this page will later be replaced with links to other pages.
- [x] Links to pages made by other people than the lecturer.
- [r] Links to pages with restricted access.
- I will also use "kibaco" system of TMU. Please register to the system,
and find "Climate change" at "Thu 3" in your time table.
- In addition, a page is prepared in my personal blog to receive questions and comments.
[A page for conversation in the "climate change" class in TMU, 1st semester 2020 @ macroscope (blog)]
- I usually prepare course materials on Wednesday and finish around noon of Thursday.
14 May : Introduction
- 28 May
- 4 June
- 11 June
- 18 June
- 25 June
- 2 July
- 9 July
- 16 July
- 23 July
Notes about languages
About the lecturer
- Masuda 増田 (family name), Kooiti 耕一 (personal name)
- Department of Geography, visiting professor
- Office: Building 8, Room 773 (This semester, I come to the office very rarely.)
- e-mail address (about classes) : masudak (the rest is as the same as most professors of TMU)
- Personal web site: http://macroscope.world.coocan.jp
- Discipline: meteorology (part of geophysics)
- Achivements: global energy and water cycle in the atmosphere and the hydrosphere
- Recent interests: climate - society interactions, climate in the historical past